Nightlife in Rome
Club Guest Lists
VIP Table & Bottle Service Reservations
Nightclubs in Rome
Our Nightlife Guides
The Nightlife in Rome: An Overview
What does make Rome stand out?
The Italy’s capital, Rome, has garnered its name as a cosmopolitan city with profound art, architecture and culture. Apart from the ancient ruins in the city, the city leaves no room to complain when it comes to the nightlife excitement. The students, tourists and locals are lured to the city’s nightlife. The wide range of options the city has to offer entices everyone. You must have heard – When in Rome, do what Romans do, but it also true for parties. When in Rome, Party like Romans. This has been made possible with the array of cool clubs, trendy bars and discos available at your disposal.
Nightlife in Rome: Wide variety of options
It is needless to say, the city attracts people of all ages and preferences to have their best time. You may take a stroll in the Trastevere district with an ice cream in your hand and visit a bar overlooking Campo De Fiori. You may even spend your time in a wine bar in the San Lorenzo district or even dance till morning with the locals in a nightclub.
Usually, the evening starts around 18:00 for locals and students here. Most of them would visit a venue for an Aperitivo. If you are looking to experience the real nightlife of the city you might have to wait till late night. The clubs, bars and discos would open up around 23:00 if not early and remain open till early morning. As a matter of fact, there are multiple venues available in the city to dine out or enjoy your evening. But if you are looking to take a plunge into the city culture or the true spirit of Rome, you must opt for outdoor venues.
The streets and neighborhoods are the best way to explore this historic center of earth. Summers is the time when outdoor places turn into huge bars and is where the Romans will meet for a great time together. It could be their best spot to grab a drink with their friends in an outdoor setting. Months from June to September, you can witness a lot of live shows, music concerts and events in the streets of the city.
Neighborhood areas in Rome and their nightlife
Now we will take you through the most happening areas in the city and what you can expect when you visit them. Most of the areas for experiencing nightlife are located near the center with its own characteristics and tastes
Piazza Navona and Via Della – Enjoy the winding streets
This district is one of the most captivating areas in the city. It is not only a perfect spot for daytime shopping, strolling but equally better at night. You can grab an aperitivo with your friends or colleagues and a late night drink afterwards. This place is visited by locals and tourists which develops an environment full of fun and excitement. This place is particularly full of cool and trendy bars. The most notable attribute of Piazza Navona is its winding streets which add appeal and quaintness. If you are walking through the alleys, you will see a lot of stylish bars, restaurants, cafes and gelaterias.
Here is a list of places/venues you must stop by
- Bar del Fico – This bar has a beautiful and lively ambience of the visitors. It is also regarded as the perfect venue to start your evening. They offer wide range of cocktails crafted by them along with the excellent wine.
- Etabli – Another chic bar situated in the alleys of Piazza Navona. You must stop by for an aperitivo along with the traditional dinner menu. You can enjoy cocktails sitting by the fireplace in this stylish interior and ambience.
- Pantaleo – You would definitely want to kick start your evening in the Piazza Navona’s Pantaleo. Locals usually visit this bar to treat themselves of the delightful cocktails and the best collection of wines at a fair price. Pantaleo is a place to socialize with your friends and partner.
Campo De Fiori – A makeover of historic stories
The Campo De Fiori square is considered top amongst the best squares in the city. In day time, the venue has the open air market which has its roots back from 1869. Locals usually buy food items from tis market. As the evening approaches, the shopkeepers, vegetable vendors and flower sellers could be seen packing up their stuff to make way for the enthralling nightlife hub. The Campo De Fiori square becomes real busy every night of the week. The tourists, especially the students who have come study here, will mingle with the locals
The chic restaurants, wine bars and clubs are strategically located in this area emerges as the get together spots for locals and tourists. You can see glimpse of the historic stories which have now been replaced with the modern fabric. Many of the theaters and buildings in this area are inspired from the rich heritage of Rome. So this place becomes an ideal spot to grab a drink and enjoy the beauty around.
The best places to look out for when you are in Campo De Fiori
- Argot Bar – The place is opted for when the locals are looking to spend night relaxing in a cocktail bar. The atmosphere is really welcoming and you would find yourself tucked in a converted theatre. There are live music sessions being organized to add flavor to your delicious cocktails
- Barnum Café – If you are looking for a relaxing atmosphere right from the morning till night. The interior is well thought as it gives a comfort while seating on chairs and sofas and space to stretch your body. The food served ranges from homemade food in the morning to scrumptious menu option in the night. Bruschette, made of fresh veggies and cheese, is a must try here.
- Coda di Gallo – This nightclub is situated behind Campo de Fiori. It’s most striking feature tis the doorbell which guest has to ring when entering the club. In its offering, you can find delicious cocktails with bitters ad herbs. You can enjoy live music with a gingered Moscow Mule. The music ranges from blues, jazz or funky.
Trastevere – Rome at its best
The day time in Trastevere is filled with people talking in all languages, busy traffic and street performers showing their tricks to the audience. You will feel alive with the activities happening in the squares. When the sun starts setting down, things don’t change much. The locals could be seen eating pizzas and sipping cocktails with their friends. The atmosphere remains lively till the morning and could still feel the movement in the area.
Trastevere has a bohemian environment characterized by cool cafes, chic restaurants, lavish wine bars and trendy clubs. The bars and restaurants start preparing themselves from 19:00 hours for the riveting night ahead. As for most of the Mediterranean countries, the norm is to socialize in the evening with food and wine. Rome follows the same trail and you can find spots filled with crowd all night.
You will come across many budget friendly restaurants in Trastevere. You might have a glance at the menu being displayed to give you a fair idea of what you can expect. Usually, the main course would cost you around 12 Euros with wine being affordable. An aperitivo can be a good option as well as you will get an aperitivo with a drink for 10 Euros if not less.
Here are a few places that you can visit while you are in Trastevere:
- Bar San Calisto – This café bar is visited by all sort of crowd ranging from hipster to blue collar workers. You can call it a true mixed bag which is a charm sometimes. The bar offers inexpensive drinks and a great atmosphere to enjoy your drink. You must try to get the table outside for a pleasant atmosphere.
- Freni e Frizioni – It is a truly traditional classic and the liveliest place for a great aperitivo. You can also enjoy the wide range of cocktails they offer in a convivial environment. Originally, the bar was a mechanic shop as the name translates to Tires and Clutches. It is definitely the best place to have fun especially during summer nights. Mojito is a must try when you are in the bar.
- Big Star – A hangout place mostly liked by the local crowd. The pub has a friendly environment with the music ranging from classic rock to live concerts. During Sunday in winters, you will come across an Indie movie club. If you are looking for a place not so chic, it is the perfect spot. The tourists will seldom visit Big Star pub.
San Lorenzo – Bohemian Counterculture
The San Lorenzo district has garnered its name as the home for Bohemian counterculture and its enticing nightlife experience. The food options and environment makes it a perfect escape from tourist trodden paths. The district is basically a university area and it touts to have La Sapienza University. Pertaining to the young crowd in this area, you are bound to find pubs, restaurants, bars and clubs all around.
Being a university area, San Lorenzo is known for its young social scenes. The young Roman hearts head to the night spots for budget friendly food options and the wide range of drinks. During summers, the crowd could be seen grabbing chilled beer in the district’s meeting point – Piazza dell’imacolata. As the night progresses, the crowd find their way to pizzerias such as Formula Uno or Il Podista. The bar ranges from costly ones to hipster lounge or galleries.
Here are a few places to try when in San Lorenzo:
- The Victorian Monkey – It is typically a board game pub popular among the locals and tourists. It offers group as well as individual gaming fun multiple times in a week. The games range from Scrabble to war type; you will definitely find a game enticing you. Apart from this, the pub also serves delicious burgers, sandwiches with good options of drinks (both alcoholic and non-alcoholic).
- Ex Dogana – The club has gained famed amongst the most popular clubs in the city and specifically in San Lorenzo. This club has been renovated from the Customs house. The club is divided into multiple areas each offering its own flavor. You can get a free entry for enjoying the live music. This place has DJ sets, bar with range of cocktails, food varieties and a ping pong table at your disposal.
Monte Testaccio – Rome’s club district
The Testaccio is in the outskirts of the city home to many night venues. The area is surrounded by a circular road which connects all the nightspots. Mostly, the crowd frequented here are locals. The best known places which make to the top list are Akab or Joia (mostly famous for dancing), Villaggio Globale (live music lovers could be seen) and On the Rox (for experiencing a true bar setup). Usually, the fun varies from spot to spot but you can definitely find highly energetic crowd wherever you go.
The best part of this place is you would find both outdoor and indoor setting in almost all venues. Locals normally arrive at this place early to grab reasonable drinks before entering the nightclubs. Testaccio is best known for live music venues such as Conte Staccio and Villaggio Globale. These live performances are organized in outdoor setting. The clubs in Testaccio are open to public during summers but there are few clubs like Coyote and On the Rox which functions entire year to live up to this place’s charm.
Have a close look at the Rome’s nightlife
The nightlife in Rome starts a bit later than usual. Romans would dine out with their friends till 10 before heading to a place to spend their entire night. Choosing the one from many can be a real tedious task. It is advisable to check the websites of clubs, bars, etc. for any special events being organized. The city offers a wide variety of bars and pubs, clubs and discos but the best way to enjoy the nightlife experience, Rome’s culture and its vibe, go outdoors. That’s the sole reason, every square in the city turns into a huge bar at night.